There are a lot of things I have wanted to be:
- Aerobics instructor
- Yoga instructor
- Buddhist nun
- Dental hygientist
- Postal worker
- Tap dancer
- Envelope stuffer
- Truck driver
- Jump rope professional
These are just a few I remember from growing up. I never wanted to be a ballerina, or president, or an astronaut.
I started by thinking about what I am good at. Answer: sitting and thinking. Then, I asked myself what I enjoy. Answer: sitting and thinking.
Perhaps that is what drew me to wanting to be a truck driver all those years ago, a romanticized vision of traveling the country in peace with my own thoughts. Of course in my adult years I now know that the profession can be plagued with stressful deadlines and demands like any other job. (Now that I think about it, several of my close friends are truck drivers. Is that weird?) And the merging. Oh my god, the merging!
But my dream career? First choice? Being a nun. The kind that prays a lot and loves people a lot, and does things to help those in need. The kind with a lot of quiet time. But there are things I am just not willing to give up for that lifestyle, like the sweet, sweet lovin’ from my man.
Dream career number two (heehee, number two) it is then: Author. Specifically, novelist. Maybe this comes from my enjoyment of observing people and situations, and imagining back stories and motivations?
I am going to go for it. I feel silly doing it, but I am doing it anyway.Why? Mostly so that I don’t have regrets on my deathbed. It is doubtful that I will make money doing it. But I’m doing it anyway. Wait. What is that thing about taking negatives and turning them into positives? Instead of the latter, should I say, ‘I can make money doing this.’?
What and ever. Either way, I will go for it.
Don’t worry, I wont quit my day job.
What is your dream career?
- Bliss Mission: If You Can Dream It You Can Achieve It (projectblissful.com)
- Dreams & Goals. (justalumpofclay.wordpress.com)
- Greta Gerwig writes the definitive “Greta Gerwig” character (rogersmovienation.com)
- Musings Episode 4: Dreams, Jobs, and Careers – Parallel yet Perpendicular (regoslife.wordpress.com)
- Living Your Dream Life Begins with Knowing What You Want (simplify101.com)
- What the future brings (pipedreamcareers.wordpress.com)
- The Law of Abundance (stuffmybrainthinks.com)
- 6 Questions About Living an Extraordinary Life (bigthink.com)
- The Dream (mdhicks2.wordpress.com)
- Changing Careers – Taking The Bridge From Where You Are To Where You Dreamed You’d Be (careeradvisor123.com)